Monday, September 6, 2010

Reflections on the art of the essay

Having read the reflections of writers on what an essay is, isn't, should, or could be in the prologue of The Best American Essays edited by Robert Atwan, I feel that people should be less confused by the genre of the essay. It is a perception of some that fiction and poetry are more straight forward while the essay can go any direction and push the envelope as far as it will go. It is also worth noting the observation that there is no one type of essay that reigns over the others and that the style of an essay is often a reflection of the author's style. Some essayists are reluctant to admit that the essay is their primary genre and instead move toward fiction, poetry, or academic writing because it seemingly needs less explanation than an essay. I love the potential timelessness of an essay and even if an essay can't be truly timeless, it will last much longer than a journalistic article. The essay is less bound by facts and allows for creativity for twists and turns that seemingly limitless potential. The essay is not merely a product but a personal journey taken by both the writer and the reader. It allows one to ask numerous questions without demanding immediate answers. It allows for introspection and exploration of ourselves and the surrounding world. It is not black and white, nor simple, it is wide-ranging and colorful; a complete spectrum. I used to think that I would one day call myself a poet, but as my academic pursuits of writing and literature continue, I feel most at home within the art of the essay, comfortable enough to shift definitions as necessary. It is a genre in which I believe I can refine my novice voice and strengthen it. Nor am I afraid to be loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment